for those of you who have been following my adventures via livejournal for the past decade, you know i’m quite fond of taking the time to look back and reflect on the last year this time of year. it’s not so much about “the new year” for me, but moreso about taking stock of what i’ve accomplished in my private life in semi-public ways… my birthday is on the 26th of december, and one of the (few) advantages is that i feel more like i’m reflecting on my year than a compulsory calendar year pros/cons list, you know? i usually do that in friends-locked posts on livejournal, but this time around i thought i’d make a more “public” version.
on top of that, i’m also finding that as social media grows and changes, in the era of endless scrolling and constant connectivity, it’s really hard to find links you’ve shared over the year. so this is a combination of a personal archive for me and a best of the year for you! get ready! it’s a doozy. i’ve tried to keep it as fashion focused as possible, but you should know by now how all of my interests run into and over each other. enjoy!
- my best femme iris came to visit❤
- delicious food and fun craft nights with sarah
- celebrated my belated birthday with some of my all-time favourite people
- went to visit simon’s aunt and uncle in their beautiful home in the country, walks in the woods
- What is Glitter Politic? by Majestic Legay (january 11th, 2011)
- tried lots of winter survival tips, like writing letters and making mulled wine
- had my fantastic family come visit for carnaval in quebec city
- participated in fa(t)shion february
- fa(t)shion february and unfashionability by j. bee at sassyfrass circus (February 1st, 2011)
singleat crunk feminist collective (February 7th, 2011)
- played with the new 35 mm holga camera karina gave me (as pictured above and in april, may, june, july photos)
- went to the sugar shack!
- really really wanted to chop all my hair off
- read a whole lots of zines
- Helpful tips: How not to be a boorish body-policing jerk by Leslie Kinzel (March 22nd, 2011)
- torn between my desire to devote myself entirely to writing and journalism… and being paid a living wage.
- bike rides and visits to lévis to see sarah
- thinking a lot about apartment renovations
- working really hard!
- On Punk Pants: Duration, Devotion and Distinction by mimi thi nguyen at Threadbared (april 4th, 2011)
- passive aggressive status updates: a fine example of girl hate by amber forrester at fight boredom! (april 27th, 2011)
- I was here then i wasn’t here then i went somewhere then i came back then i went away then i came back and now i’m going again to paris to read books and be alone by Jenny Zhang at Fashion for Writers (April 27th, 2011)
- visited my sisters in ottawa
- saw austra and bumped into an old friend from 8th grade! isabelle!
- met amber at slutwalk in montreal
- hahaha “planked”
- The Faux Vintage Photograph by Nathan Jungerson at The Society Pages (May 11th, 2011) *** this may be my favourite piece of non-fiction writing of the year****
- Slutwalk March or not march by Harsha Walia at Rabble (May 18th, 2011)
- Things to do if you are a hustling class artist or other person with no trust fund or much of an economic safety net by Leah Lakshmi Piepzna-Samarasinha (May 23rd, 2011)
- launched three major projects i had been helping work on since the fall
- fell in love with biking once again
- was kind of bummed about sarah leaving, but decided to make the best of it
- took so many rolls of film!
- spent a lot of time thinking about and planning a certain incredible event
- Pointing out small-scale problems at better living through beyoncé (June 3rd, 2011)
- Understanding Vancouver’s Hockey Riot by Dave Zirin at the Nation (June 16th, 2011)
- Communities of care, organizations for liberation by Yashna Maya Padamsee (June 19th, 2011)
- wedding day as a celebration of love, not of coupledom by me at simon et julia (June 21st, 2011)
- left my job at exmuro feeling satisfied and accomplished
- chopped off and donated 14 inches of my hair
- made my very first radio documentary on that very subject
- had dinner with and was reinspired by neil bissoondath
- Sustainable Style Series via jesse anne o (july 26th, 2011)
- had the most incredible party of my life aka got married!
- saw so many wonderful people, morgan, my sisters, everyone
- slow danced with nicole brossard
- went for a roadtrip in the eastern townships
- Moving toward the ugly: a politic beyond desirability by Mia Mingus at Leaving Evidence (August 22nd, 2011)
- started working nearly full time in radio + loved it
- beginning of my weekly writing dates with karina at librarie st-jean
- biked 60 km with simon!
- went without power for nearly eleven days (!!!) after post tropical storm irene
- An Open Letter to my local Hipstersby Sarah Hunt at Media Indigena (September 20th, 2011)
- Urban Outfitters is obsessed with Navajos by Adrienne Keene at Native Appropriations (September 23rd, 2011)
- Unintentionally Eating the Other by Minh-Ha T. Pham at Threadbared (September 12, 2011)
- Antifeminist Frills by Eline at A Fluffy Blog (September 22, 2011)
- Fashion is a feminist issue by Greta Christina (September 2nd, 2011)
- celebrated karina’s birthday
- first halloween in ages i didn’t dress up (i was sick & busy)
- Occupy Together in the age of conspiracy by Syed Hussan at Rabble (October 13th, 2011)
- Fauxgress Watch: “Born this way” by Rachel at Social Justice League (October 10th, 2011)
- An Open Letter to Urban Outfitters on Columbus Day by Sasha Houston Brown at Racialicious (October 10th, 2011)
- Fat babes illustrated by Natalie at Definatalie (October 23, 2011)
- enjoyed the very mild weather
- had a fantastic house show featuring nick ferrio & his feelings + tin vespers
- had a few friend crushes
- did a short radio series on food in the north
- Not every girl is a riot grrrl by Lindsay Zoladz (November 16th, 2011)
- visited trenton for the first time of the year
- took a lot of time for myself
- said goodbye to my best friend karina as she headed off to sudbury
- celebrated my champagne birthday with lots of sequins and glamour and fun
- Why the “Native” Fashion Trend is pissing off real Native Americans by Lisa Hix at Collector’s Weekly (December 1st, 2011)
- Make your own stuff by Maranda Elizabeth (December 3rd, 2011)
- “Hello, I Love you” or “Why Fashion Blogging Smells like Raw Fish” by isabel at hipster musings (December 23rd, 2011)
phew! what a year. a new pair of glasses, three haircuts, tons of babes and incredible amounts of personal challenges and accomplishments. it took me way longer than anticipated to put that together. i’ll be sharing my favourite music of the year elsewhere in the next month or so, and best things i’ve read/seen in 2011 but i think those articles should sate your palates for the time being.
what were some of the best things you read or saw this year? i love lists! share yours with me. here’s one of my all-time favourites: